October 10, 2012

Green Salsa Obsession

I have become obsessed with green salsa. 

There is almost always some in the fridge these days (as long as we have cilantro of course). 

I was inspired by Homesick Texan's tomatillo salsa recipe but since my tomatillos aren't ready in the garden didn't produce at all (!) and half of us don't do spicy, I made some alterations. Here's what I do:

1 large can tomatillos
1 can green chiles (we use mild)
1 bunch cilantro
onion (1/4? 1/2? depends on the day)
a few garlic cloves
whole cumin and pepper
olive oil

Blend all that up then simmer a pinch of whole cumin in a tablespoon or so of olive oil. Careful not to burn it. After a few minutes, when the cumin is slightly softened and the oil is nicely infused, pour your salsa into the pan right on top of the oil. You can call it quits at this point or cook the salsa a little. Your choice. I do it a different way each time I make it.

Stir this into soup, eggs, scoop it with chips, use it as an enchilada sauce, a topping for rice, potatoes, or mix it with yogurt for a creamy green salsa.

I can't wait until I have fresh tomatillos again!

P.S. Since I first drafted this post I've stopped cooking the salsa. I think I liked it better that way but I am very short on time because someone, lets call them "Poppyseed", gets impatient. Anyhow, I just pour the cumin/olive oil into the blender with the salsa and give it one last swirl. Pretty darn good. 



What is your condiment obsession?

1 comment:

  1. My tomatillos did nothing either!!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete