May 6, 2015

First Sorbetto

My first Sorbetto took 5 muslins! I turned it from a 2 piece pattern with 1 set of bust darts to a 5 piece pattern with 2 sets of bust darts and under bust darts. A little clunky but I'm pretty proud of my first attempt. Here is my bad selfy:

Since I took this pic I undid the front hem and under bust darts and took a lot of ease out from the front. It was just too blowsy in the front. There are still fitting issues, of course, but I think it turned out well. It's certainly wearable. The back has princess seams and a center back seam. I don't think I needed both of those but that's how it turned out. The neckline is higher than I like and that's with cutting it down. The center pleat is cute but I think I'm going to use that space in the pattern to try some other things.

The neck and armholes are finished with bias tape I made from the fabric. It looks really nice! The bottom hem is turned under twice and edge stitched. The interior seams are just serged. I'd like to learn some really nice seam finishes but it works for now while I'm still learning proper fitting. 

Just started on another version I'm pretty excited about. I drafted princess seams for the front based on the darts from the original version and I think I got them right the first time. The new version has a v-neck and will button up. I redrafted the back with a deep curved yoke and an overlapped lower back so it will have an opening. Should be nice and loose and breezy for summer. It's pretty cool: I can basically mix and match the various backs and fronts to make a bunch of combos.

The Cotton and Steel fabric used.
Finished with bias tape. Seams serged.

No comments:

Post a Comment