What I'm cooking...
- Corned Beef no. 2 = in the pot for the next 5 days.
- Homesick Texan's Sweet Potato Pie
- Vegetable soup
- Ginger cookies
- Scrambled eggs! The babies haven't started laying yet but the retired girls... they're back in business! I think this is a temporary increase in lay (they've rested all winter) but since the days have been longer we've been getting 5-7 eggs most days, even when it doesn't get above freezing.
- 7 days of deep freeze in the last two weeks. We've had temperatures in the low 20's and a few consecutive days where the high didn't get above freezing. This is unheard of. Except that it happened last year... but I assure you, it is very unusual.
- Because of the freeze I harvested all my cilantro, mustard, and kale. That was over 1.5 pounds of cilantro!
- Tasted one of my turnips raw after the freeze. It might have had sugar sprinkled on it! Since we don't freeze here regularly I've never had a chance to experience the sweetening effect a freeze has on root vegetables.
- Now that the weather is warm I've been out in the garden every day preparing for the next round of planting. I've turned compost, repaired boards on the raised beds, and re-mulched. I'll be building new beds and trellises, re-mulching more of the old beds, planting, seeding, putting in the irrigation, repairing the retired birds' house and finishing the new chickens' house.
What have you been up to lately?